Hi dear reader! It pains me to inform you that I am currently serving my military service for Taiwan. I will be done in May of 2013, so until then posts will be sporadic. I hope that this doesn't deter you from checking back often as I will attempt to provide content whenever I can. Thanks!

Monday, April 23, 2012

1885 Burger Store


Address: No.24-1 Pucheng St. , Daan District, Taipei.  

Telephone: (02)2367-8258

Hours: M-Th: 11:00AM-10:00PM; F: 11:00AM-11:00PM; Sat: 9:30AM-11:00PM; Sun: 9:30AM-10:00PM



There is no more basic part of the perceived American dining experience than the hamburger.  When visiting Taiwan as a child, all I ever heard when visiting relatives was that I must eat a lot of hamburgers, because that's how people in the States apparently get so large.  Its safe to say that times have changed in the last 20 years or so, in that food is now global, and that really, one can get any type of cuisine in almost any developed country.
But the permeation of food throughout the world isn't the only fantastic change to have happened in these few short decades.  There also has been a push to take any type of food, regardless of its pedigree, and to really dress it up and make that item into a gourmet meal.  Burgers use to be thought of as just some part of a diner's menu or something that is picked up after you scream your order into an intercom.  

But boy, has the burger certainly come a long way.  


Banana chocolate milkshake.  About what you'd expect from such an fantastic invention.  Could of used a little something to dress it up however. Appearance wise.. a little lacking.   140NT
Quaint little store with all matters of mix-matching decorations.  Booths were comfy.  

Now you can get a burger patty of almost any type with ingredients that are usually reserved for michelin star restaurants.  The gourmet burger has really become something of an art form, and while I wouldn't say that 1885 Burger Store is such a place, it is however on a growing list of Taipei burger joints that try to bring an interesting interpretation to this timeless classic in the food pantheon.

 My burger.  Mushrooms with pepperjack cheese.  Tried to keep it simple to really see how the quality of the meat would be. 210NT


Some fries and something healthy to fool your digestive system to not hate you.

1885 Burger Store is located in relatively close proximity to Shida University and the adjoining night market. It is one of the many burger establishments that surround the school, and it really is in a great location for the type of food it serves.  If I were to open a burger store, I definitely want as much walk by traffic as humanly possible and would definitely want to cater my creations to a younger crowd.  The fact that the universities are also full of foreigners who might be a bit more partial to a juicy burger patty also definitely helps.  


 Friends burger of choice.  Pineapple bbq cheese burger.  Fantastic combination of words right there. 230NT

I would categorize this as my first real burger experience since the move back.  I've popped into Burger King/Mcdonalds once or twice.. but that was more of a guilty pleasure than anything I would want to call a satisfying meal.  I wanted to keep it simple for my first burger so I elected for a pepperjack cheese and mushroom burger.  They offer you three types of bread: ciabatta, whole wheat, and a cream bread, I opted for the ciabatta.  
I was a little surprised that they didn't ask how I wanted the burger to be done.  It stands to reason that when dealing with hamburger meat, you probably don't want it too raw, but what if I had wanted it well done? That option was not given to me, and I'm a little miffed by that.  The meat was very juicy, and really was full of natural flavor (even before I slathered ketchup on it).  It was of an adequate size, and the fries were crispy and fresh.  



Up close and personal. 

1885 Burger Store also serves up all manners of breakfast food at all hours of the day, but I don't think I would come to a restaurant named the Burger Store.. and order something that wasn't a burger.. but maybe that's just me.  They offer daily specials that will save you some NT (they include a drink with the order), and really, overall the burger was more than adequate.  
Their signature creation is the PB&J hamburger (i'm as intrigued by the possibilities as you are), but like I said, for this trip, I wanted to only judge the patty on its own merits without too much extraneous flavors to clutter it up.  So in that regard, I was very happy with what I ordered and what I received.  There were somethings lacking, but the place was pretty crowded on a Tuesday night, so they are definitely doing something right.
There will be more trips to more burger establishments on this food roller coaster of mine.  But this was definitely a good start.  

Overall 1885 Burger Store receives: 


-Til Next Time-




No comments:

Post a Comment