Hi dear reader! It pains me to inform you that I am currently serving my military service for Taiwan. I will be done in May of 2013, so until then posts will be sporadic. I hope that this doesn't deter you from checking back often as I will attempt to provide content whenever I can. Thanks!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司


Address: No.17, Lane.248, Zhongxiao E. Rd Sec 4, Taipei.  台北市忠孝東路四段248巷17號

Telephone: (02) 8771-9986

Hours: M-F 11:30AM-2:30PM ; 5:30PM-9:30PM, Saturday 12PM-2:30PM ; 5:30PM-9:30PM, closed on sundays.



When making the transition from sushi in America to sushi in Taiwan, one of the first things anyone will notice is the lack of sushi restaurants that offer you the large rolls that are ubiquitous in American sushi establishments.  As a lover of all things raw fish related, I'm of course a great admirer of a finely crafted piece of nigiri, but I also like to occasionally change it up and eat some rolls.

Before trying out Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司 over this past weekend I was worried that the void of the sushi roll restaurant would be a lasting crater in my dietary habits.  I'm glad to announce that Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司 fills that void nicely with their large selection of rolls.



 Special California Roll.  Got to have the basics. 
Special Dynamite Roll.

Lots of Japanese restaurants (even those in Taiwan) will most likely have some sort of rolls on their menu.  The difference between the rolls served at Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司 and other places is the size of their creations and the type of ingredients being used.  Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司's Americanized style rolls are heavy in their use of things such as avocados and mayo and in general provide a much heavier flavor profile than the small maki rolls that are more prevalent at traditional Japanese eateries.

When I first walked in and pulled out my camera to begin snapping away at the interior of the restaurant, the proprietor immediately asked me to not take any pictures except of the food.  Uh-oh.. was the thought that rushed through my head.  Were we dealing with a psycho owner here? As it turned out, the owners couldn't have been friendlier, and like many businesses in Taiwan, Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司 is a family run operation.  They are a Taiwanese couple who moved back from Vancouver to open up a American style Japanese restaurant just for me (at least that's what I like to think).  


Caterpillar Roll.

As most Asian parents are want to do, they use liberal use of their children in the running of the restaurant.  I felt that this added the the general warmth of the space, as the kids were extremely helpful and you can tell that everyone was dedicated to the success of the restaurant.  

Without the use of visual aids, you'll just have to take my word that it isn't a large space, and what square footage there is, is largely occupied by the chef's work station.  The bar seats around 10-12 people with addition seating downstairs (I didn't get the opportunity to see the downstairs), all this is to say that if you want to dine at Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司 during peak hours, make sure to pick up your phone and make a reservation.  

 Spicy Scallop

 Crispy Roll.


You can taste the freshness in the ingredients and in the fish, and with only the one chef behind the counter, the food is delivered relatively quickly.  Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司 does a good job of importing American style sushi to a dining landscape that is largely devoid of it.  It fills the niche very very nicely, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for hearty rolls.  Unlike some of the restaurants that offer this type of sushi in America, the portions here aren't massive, but neither can they be considered puny.  It is enough to get you full without the need to unbuckle the belt a notch or two.

I will definitely be making frequent visits to Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司 and can be expected to spend around 150NT to 300NT per roll.  There is still much to try on their menu and I eagerly anticipate my next opportunity to head back.  And this time, I'll be sure to ask why I can't take pictures of the interior.

Overall Sumi Sushi - 澄壽司 receives: 


Til next time - some more treats for your eyeballs.

 Special rainbow roll.  Look at the colors just popping out.. My favorite roll of the night.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment