Hi dear reader! It pains me to inform you that I am currently serving my military service for Taiwan. I will be done in May of 2013, so until then posts will be sporadic. I hope that this doesn't deter you from checking back often as I will attempt to provide content whenever I can. Thanks!

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Quick Hits - Heping E Rd. (和平東路) Xian Bing (餡餅)


Address: 台北市大安區和平東路2段313號 No.313, Section 2, Heping East Rd, Daan District.

Hours: 11AM-730PM daily



I essentially walk by this little food stand a good 2 or 3 times a day.  If you extrapolate that to include the nearly two months I've been back in Taiwan, that's probably 120-180 glances I've shot towards this Xian Bing (餡餅) provider without making the sensible decision and getting myself a tasty snack.  What makes it worse is that I've been told to remedy this unfortunate circumstance over and over again since the xian bing here is supposedly top notch.  

At long last I finally slowed my footsteps enough to ask the proprietor what was available and ordered a beef, turnip and chinese chives (jiu cai) xian bing.



A xian bing is what I would essentially call Chinese meat pies.  They are disc shaped and roughly the size of a hamburger patty.  The filling of choice is wrapped in unrisen dough that is pan fried and steamed.  Ideally, a perfect xian bing would be a skin that is simultaneously crispy yet somehow retains some chewiness.  This is the state that this xian bing (餡餅) provider has achieved and the skin is a perfect balance of the two textures.


As you can see, the inside of the beef xian bing is packed full of juice so be careful when devouring.  I went months without bringing this into my life, I'm sure I won't go months in between visit again.  The store is located on the corner of that street, and there is typically a line but the wait is rarely long as people order quickly and they wrap them up even quicker.  For 25NT/30NT, this is definitely worth grabbing if you are in the neighborhood.

- Til next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment