Hi dear reader! It pains me to inform you that I am currently serving my military service for Taiwan. I will be done in May of 2013, so until then posts will be sporadic. I hope that this doesn't deter you from checking back often as I will attempt to provide content whenever I can. Thanks!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Ice Monster


Address: No.297, Sec.4, Zhongxiao E. Rd, Daan District. 台北市忠孝東路四段297號

Telephone: (02)8771-3263

Hours: Mon-Sun: 11:00AM-11:30PM



I was confused as to why such a popular and famous eatery would shut down.  Ice Monster has long been located in the heart of Yong Kang St (永康街), and has attracted devoted patrons from the world over to its assortment of shaved ice options.  Well, as it turns out, what temporarily derailed Ice Monster is the same thing that disrupts many businesses... Money.  I don't know the specifics, and neither do I care to... all I know is that Ice Monster is back, and everyone who has to suffer through the Taiwanese summer is ever so grateful.  

The new store opened in late May, and it is a large comfortable space that has a nice modern feel to it.  It is a huge upgrade over the small roadside stall that it use to operate from.  Perhaps moving from the quaint digs of Yong Kang Street (永康街) and into this posher abode will take away that feeling of discovering something off the beaten path that only comes from eating at small stands/stalls... but trust me, I'll take the comfy chairs and air conditioning any day of the week.


My friends and I decided to check out the new digs on a sweltering Monday evening.  Even as it approached 8:30 at night, the line was still formidable as it took around half an hour before we were able to get seated.  The wait was made more bearable as they come around with little frozen treats to keep people like me from complaining too much about the blasted heat.  The waiting gives you some time to peruse the menu although it comes down to one thing when we are talking about Ice Monster.. and that is their Mango Shaved Ice (Mango Avalanche).  It is what they have been most renowned for during their stint as kingpin of Taiwanese shaved ice, and while it seems to me that they added a few new things to the menu, I would start with the Mango Avalanche and add to that depending on your appetite. 


 Almost seems to be a glow emanating from it. (180NT)

Red Bean and Taro Shaved ice.

After tasting this again after such a long time, I can see why the line existed.  The shaved mango was extremely light and airy and full of flavor.. it really did almost just melt on your tongue.  The Mango Avalanche is a sweets lovers dream as its a heaping of mango, pudding, condensed milk, sorbet, and mango syrup.  So yeah, maybe stay away from it if you aren't the biggest fan of mango, but otherwise.. it is the exact remedy needed to cure the summer heat.
The taro and red bean ice I also enjoyed, but I would say that it doesn't pop like the Mango Avalanche.  It is a blend of textures and different ices that creates what I feel is a visually stunning dessert.  As a big fan of red bean in general, I would definitely recommend this option.




A favorite of many people, but one that is excluded from my list for its high concentration of coffee flavor.  Again, I have to point out that half of the appeal of the desserts here really is just how delicious the shaved ice appears.  It's nice that they also happen to be yummy, but the visuals probably make them taste all the better.  The side of tapioca certainly made me like this option slightly more, but I just don't particularly enjoy the bitterness of this dish, but I may be in the minority here, so go ahead and give it a try (shaved ice is still shaved ice however... and I couldn't help but eat my fair share).

Given its enormous popularity, I've always wondered why Ice Monster hasn't branched out yet and opened more stores.  Perhaps this is a step in that direction as their shiny new locale is apparently doing gangbusters, and I feel it's just a matter of time before more and more Ice Monsters dot the scenery of Taipei.  I thoroughly enjoyed my visit here, and by the end of the experience, no one was talking about that short little wait we had to endure in the beginning.  The desserts are plentiful, visually appealing, and boy are they delicious.. what else can someone trying to escape the heat ask for? 

Overall Ice Monster Receives: 












-Til Next Time-


2 comments:

  1. Felix when did you start this food blog?!?! this place looks soooooo yummy !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stella! Been a long time, hope you're doing well =). I started the blog after I moved back to Taiwan a few months ago. Had time to kill, so figured I would occupy it with food.. haha.

      Since my military service started up, I haven't had time to really put up posts, but i'll try to keep doing so sporadically. Stay in touch lady, and take care!

      Delete