Hi dear reader! It pains me to inform you that I am currently serving my military service for Taiwan. I will be done in May of 2013, so until then posts will be sporadic. I hope that this doesn't deter you from checking back often as I will attempt to provide content whenever I can. Thanks!

Monday, February 20, 2012

Macho Tacos - A Rant: A Voice in the WIlderness


Machos Tacos.. this isn't about you as much as its about the dire dire state of Mexican food in our fine nation.  I don't know why its so difficult to create a fantastic burrito.  There's a joke that says Mexican food is just the same ingredients repackaged differently..... funny because it's so true.  Cheese, rice, beans, salsa, guacamole, tortillas, meat and sour cream...that's it, that's basically all is needed to make your favorite Mexican dishes.  Am I to believe that our cheese and meats are somehow inferior? That the delicate art of burrito rolling and tortilla flattening are somehow lost to us? I refuse to believe that, yet until further evidence is presented to me, that is the sad world that we are living in.  A world in which I cannot get a fantastic burrito in Taiwan.

Now, I fully realize the law of supply and demand, and that in this case, there just might not be that much demand for Mexican food here.  But i can not be the lone voice crying in the wilderness, and if Machos Tacos is somewhere near the top of the Mexican food pyramid, then we need to take a wrecking ball to it and start from the bottom up.
To be perfectly honest, the food wasn't terrible and i enjoyed it perfectly fine:


pardon the use of the ketchup.

It's just that i've had so much better, and i don't see where the difficulty arises from.  Apparently there is a algorithm that only Mexicans are privy to in their distribution of ingredients.  As you can see from the picture of the carnitas burrito, the meat is a little bit dry and the coloring just isn't particularly appetizing.  

It is my contention that it is easier to produce a quality taco/quesadilla/ etc. than it is to create the work of food art that is a magnificent burrito.  The meat should be slightly charred, one half of it shouldn't fall through the bottom during consumption, the aforementioned ingredients ratio needs to be spot on... i mean really.. how hard can it be? (honestly, i don't know.. someone please inform me).  

So to sum up, Machos Tacos is fine and I'm almost definitely go back sooner rather than later, but the national crisis of middling to decent Mexican food goes on... the search will continue. Until next time.

5 comments:

  1. i hear the bay area has some tasty burritos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn it.. its true. I'll be back one day my friend.. until then, keep reading buddy.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try some Macho Tacos. They dont' look very macho to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your write up in English.
    I went to Macho tonight ...
    - BURRITO - carnitas burrito was wrapped funky; meat was wet and leaked all over foil wrapper
    - SALSA - green salsa was way off, super spicy sauce was asian
    - steak quesadilla was okay
    - i was warned to steer clear of el pollo
    - Fish Taco was okay - corn tortilla wasn't what I was used to

    If Macho is near the top of TPE's MX offering, what else is at the king of the hill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently tried Eddie's Cantina in Tien Mu.. and despite the rave reviews I've heard about the place. I still found it lacking.

      I appreciate the feedback and although the military service has put a hold to how many posts I can put up, I will still attempt to do my best.

      Delete