Hi dear reader! It pains me to inform you that I am currently serving my military service for Taiwan. I will be done in May of 2013, so until then posts will be sporadic. I hope that this doesn't deter you from checking back often as I will attempt to provide content whenever I can. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Man Tang Hong Hot Pot (滿堂紅)


Address: No.228-4, Sec.4, Ren Ai Rd, Daan District, Taipei.  台北市大安區仁愛路四段228之4號

Telephone: (02)2701-6669


As I have previously said..... HOT POT!.  Oh sorry, my love for hot pot got the better of me again, what i meant to say that during my friends visit to Taiwan, it was necessary for me to make sure that they had Ding Tai Fung, hot pot of some form, and make a trip to the night market for the culinary exploits that exist there. I have heard of Man Tang Hong, and what I have heard about it was positive, and that can be exhibited by the long waits you can expect during peak hours (call ahead please).  To make a name for yourself in the crowded market of Taiwanese hot pot is an accomplishment, and invariably this is a place that I hear come up rather frequently in conversation. 

 Hurry and boil damn you! Half Spicy and half 'suan cai'.  One of the four non spicy broth choices to choose from





The space was large and offered plenty of walking room between the tables.  The customary options were all there on the menu, and it included a good choice of different kinds of beef, pork, lamb, chicken and seafood.  Suffice to say.. my out of town friends were head over heels over the place.  The fact that they offered a translated menu in English helped quite a bit for us, but it was amusing when the wait staff was passing it around like a game of hot potato in fear of making a mistake.




Stacked on high.  And trust me.. the sauce tastes much better than it looks.


In my review of Luo Shen Fu (洛神賦) I touted the fact that they offered the customers all you can drink cans of soda and Movenpick ice cream... well.. Mang Tang Hong offers all you can drink glass bottles of soda and Haagen daz... advantage Mang Tang Hong.  Apparently its somewhat of a common thing to do that, and you know what? This is a practice that I can get on board with.  In further comparing the two.. i would have to say that almost everything is strikingly similar.  The quality of the meat, the sauce selection, the price ranges and the offering of side dishes and vegetables were all almost too similar to crown a champion.


 Meat~

 Bursting at the seams.


But that's really besides the point.  A quality restaurant needs to be stand on its own merits, and this is another economical option that provides very good food for you to stuff your face with.  Coming here with a large party is a blast as they have ample seating to handle it and congregating around a pot of steaming delicious food is a good way to spend an afternoon or an evening.

Overall I'm gonna have to give Mang Tang Hong the same grade as Luo Shen Fu, but at gunpoint I still like Luo Shen Fu because of the ambiance and the atmosphere... but honestly... you cannot go wrong with either choice.



Til next time - Some more treats for your eyeballs.













No comments:

Post a Comment