Hi dear reader! It pains me to inform you that I am currently serving my military service for Taiwan. I will be done in May of 2013, so until then posts will be sporadic. I hope that this doesn't deter you from checking back often as I will attempt to provide content whenever I can. Thanks!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hello Kitty Sweets Cafe


Address : No. 90, Da An Road, Sec. 1, Taipei.  台北市大安路一段90號

Telephone: 02-2711-1132



I struggled with what the opening for this particular post should be.  Do I play up the angle of how every guy worth his salt must have been dragged/drugged here? Just play it off like I only came to take in the novelty? In the end, I thought it best to just treat it as any other cafe (I already know that that will be impossible because of said novelty) or at least attempt to do so to the best of my ability.  


First off, the place will at the very least cause a reaction out of you.  I don't really care what gender/age/ethnicity you are, you'll either shake your head with a wry smile on your face, yelp in high pitched delight or something in between.  The place looks like someone took a bunch of massive pastel crayons.. melted it over a building, then stamped Hello Kitty's face all over the place.  
Obviously Hello Kitty and the Sanrio Company are trying to appeal to a certain demographic, and a building with a decor such as this hits that demo squarely on the head.  It's a pretty large space.. with ample seating both upstairs and downstairs. 



Each group comes equipped with at least one female companion/upstairs portion.

We came at roughly 2PM on a weekday, and they were only serving desserts.  I apologize about not exactly knowing when their proper meal times are (call for more info), but this is probably because I wasn't particularly interested in the food being served in shapes of Hello Kitty and was only interested in taking in the feel of the cafe and seeing if the desserts were up to snuff.  There is a 300NT minimum per person to dine in... seems a tad much to me considering only desserts were available. 

Alright.. that's pretty cute.  

What i ordered.  The pastry was a little too dry and thick for my taste.  I think i also would've preferred it to be heated up just a smidge.

The Cult of Hello Kitty worshipper that we went with was at first beyond the moon excited about the cafe, but I think her spirits were deflated somewhat when not every detail that could have been Hello Kitty-fied wasn't (things like silverware, cups and things of that ilk).  The waitstaff was very helpful in our attempt to navigate the Chinese only menu and their pink-hued uniforms were appropriate to say the least.

 Cute enough that you don't want to wreck it.  And maybe you shouldn't, the cake wasn't all that appetizing.
 This one was very good.. red bean and green tea cake.
My favorite part of the desserts.. milk shake.  Fatty milky goodness.


The late twenties male who thinks hes entirely too cool for school isn't the type of clientele they are going for, so it's understandable that I have the tone that I do.  But with that said, I can be unbiased and see why anyone professing to be a fan of the Hello Kitty phenomenon would almost feel a supernatural pull from this place.  I would be lying if I didn't say I was at least a bit curious to see what it was like when you stepped in all the way, and now that I have found out, the chances are high that I won't be back.  I'm not disappointed that I came to the Hello Kitty Sweets Cafe, and it really was more or less what I expected it to be.  So please, if you are a fan... search this place out and be dazzled by that cute cat face.. you will not be sad in the money you spend.  For the rest of us? Maybe stop to pose for a picture... then just move along.

Overall Hello Kitty Sweets Cafe Receives: 




For anyone owning ANY Hello Kitty paraphernalia &








    For the rest of us.










Til next time - some more treats for your eyeballs.






No comments:

Post a Comment