Hi dear reader! It pains me to inform you that I am currently serving my military service for Taiwan. I will be done in May of 2013, so until then posts will be sporadic. I hope that this doesn't deter you from checking back often as I will attempt to provide content whenever I can. Thanks!

Sunday, November 4, 2012

瞞著爹 三


Address:  No.17, Lane 346, Alley 9, Bade Rd. Taipei Taiwan.105 ; 台灣台北市松山區八德路二段346巷9弄17號

Telephone: 0926594575

Hours: 11:30AM-2:30PM; 6:00PM-8:30PM


Maybe it's been the deprivation, maybe it was a lack of a breakfast, whatever the root cause.. I was giddy at the thought of being able to finally lay my grubby hands on some Japanese food.  My second full day back on my military leave found the family and I heading over to 瞞著爹 三 for some lunch.  It really is difficult to describe what an odd sensation it is to all of a sudden be allowed to walk around freely like a regular human being.  As I have been fond of saying lately, it really is the little things that brings you the greatest lasting joy.

It's important to make the distinction that this is 瞞著爹 三 and not the other two because each location offers up its own type of Japanese fare.  At 瞞著爹 三 you can find a varied selection of chirashis, some handrolls, and a nigiri set.  This may not like seem like a whole lot for you to choose from, but trust me, these simple things are really all you need for you to leave as giddy as I was.

Judging from that sentence alone you can see that I have quickly become a fan of this cozy little restaurant.  Open your appetites and let me tell you why.

Before the onslaught of customers.
 Menu
Some colorful drinks and all you can drink miso.

瞞著爹 三 is conveniently located right behind Breeze Center, and occupies a lovely little space with seating for around 20-25 patrons.  But for the love of God.. if you are stupid like us and deign to not make a reservation, then in turn be smart like us and arrive exactly at 11:30 when they open.  If you desire to be twice stupid and do neither, then settle in for a lengthy wait, as a butt will fill every one of those seats rapidly 

The space is simultaneously crowded without seeming cluttered.  The menu is simple, the prices are reasonable, and there is all you can drink miso soup.  For my money, that's a good start right there.

Negitoro handrolls with some uni and cucumber.  Sublime.
 Eel handroll.

I left the ordering of our meal in the ever capable hands of my sister.  She started us off with some handrolls (ranging from 40NT - 60NT), and before I had time to tell them to lay their hands off the merchandise, half of the food was already down their gullets. A round of reordering commenced and I had my photo op with the food.
After eating the handrolls myself, I suppose I couldn't begrudge them for being so quick on the trigger.  They provide a very affordable treat to start the meal with.  The negitoro w/uni handroll is a must order, and should be consumed quickly or else there is a chance the seaweed might get soggy due to the negitoro.

First Up.  Shrimp/Uni seaweed wrap chirashi.


Although 瞞著爹 三 offers other options, they are most known for their chirashi options.  On this day, we went with three types.. first up is the four pics that you see above you.  It is a shrimp/uni concoction that is meant to be eaten in a slightly heated seaweed wrapper.  Truly, one of the things I love most about my first experience here is the vibrancy of all the food that is presented.  There is something awesome about food both tasting and looking great that takes the whole dining experience up another level.

I'm not exactly sure why this particular dish was meant to be wrapped instead of just me digging in with my bare hands (I would've been fine with any option), but I played along and enjoyed my wrap.  When the seaweed ran out, I was perfectly fine just almost inhaling the rest of the contents.  And yes, it was still delicious.

Heck Yes.

I'd like to stress again how reasonable I feel the prices are at 瞞著爹 三.  It is true we aren't dealing with sashimi per say, but the ingredients being used are still of high quality and there is no fear of having to leave a pauper if you want to satisfy your hunger.
Actually the only thing I found to be overpriced was the Japanese style soft drinks.  90NT for some colorful sweet liquid? It was tasty... but not that tasty.

My Favorite. Uni and fish eggs.
 More traditional chirashi option for the mother.


As is plainly visible, each dish looks like its just begging for you to devour it.  I thought the Uni/Fish Roe chirashi was superb, and the portions were admirable to boot.  The food was delivered quickly and efficiently, and while we didn't have too much interaction with the wait staff, they were attentive to our needs and were present without being pestering.

Nigiri Set


In addition to the handrolls to accompany the chirashi, they also offer a nigiri set for 680NT that I feel is a must have.  Each individual nigiri comes with its own bit of garnish to add that little extra flavor to the fish.  I mean really, do I have to say it again? It really does just look incredibly appetizing lined up on that wooden board like that... it's almost too pretty to eat... almost.  There is no option to order each item separately, but I feel there is enough variety in this platter and coupled with whatever else you ordered, there is little doubt in my mind you'll leave a satiated patron.


I realize from the beginning to this very word, I have had yet to say a negative thing about this establishment.  I can guarantee you with 99% certainty that this is due to the quality of 瞞著爹 三 and not just because I've been isolated on an dinky island for over two months.  
Sure, this food perhaps doesn't lend itself to the precision of other aspects of Japanese cuisine, but we judge each dish on its own merits, and I can unequivocally say that I found the food to be lacking in no regard.  The taste was there, the food was visually appealing, and the food was delivered quickly... I don't need a whole lot else for the prices I paid at 瞞著爹 三.  I have 10 days until my leave from the military is over... it's a good bet that I'll find myself in that cozy little nook again before I leave.  

Overall 瞞著爹 三 receives:












-Til Next Time-

No comments:

Post a Comment